I’m sorry for this LATE POSTing, I know you’re already in J-Town but please forgive! Let me know if you need any more tips, this is just a tiny lil summary of my five trips!!!! I hope you’re having an amazing time!!
Truth be told, when I was in Tokyo in Dec-Jan 2017/18, everything was CLOSED because it was the new year season and there were a lot of things I couldn’t do :(!!! But these are suggestions from my prev visits to Tokyo. Tokyo is not Jopan’s fave city in Japan because she likes to breathe air and listen to silence but there is so much to do! (You guys will probably do a better job of exploring the walkable city because I’ve never experienced it with a ~lover~ which makes it MORE EXCITING)!!! Also, the sex shops are supposed to be AMAZE but there is also a great selection at Don Quijote which is another must see store!!! You can get cute puppy outfits for Pypy and Tootsie!!!
1. Shinjuku Gardens! i.e. hello PEACE and CALM!! 新宿御苑
2. Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building
Good, free view of Tokyo!!!! But is in kind of a weird dystopian neighbourhood so the viewing area at the Mori art museum in Roppongi is a cooler vibe!
3. Tsukiji Fish Market
Super early morning activity!!! For the fish lovers!
4. Mori Art Museum (Roppongi Hills)
Featuring cool art and a sky viewing area! Roppongi is the ex-pat area of Tokyo but also has a great night life!
General streets obvi
Also definitely do the Yoyogi Park – Harajuku Walk!!!
1. Forever Museum! + Gion neighbourhood!
2. OKAY GUYS! Every 25th of the month (in 2 days!!), there is this amazing flea market in Kyoto!!!! IT WAS GORGEOUS!!!! We went there on Christmas day and bought all of the foods and ceramics of our dreams. They also have AMAZING vintage kimonos there, more authentic than the ones you will find in touristy areas!!! We took a cab there and it was THE BEST!!! More info here!!
3. There is an amazing food court under the Kyoto tower near the train station if you get stuck for dinner options! The entrance is near the starbucks. Just a suggestion if you’re staying near there or taking the train anywhere!!
4. Temples blah blah yah sorry I can’t be helpful here. I have been to Kyoto 5 times now and the temple scene is not my personal OMG FAVE but they’re all gorgeous. My faves are the Kinkakuji (silver temple), Fushimi Inari and omg Nathaniel recommended the Sanjusangendo temple but I never got the chance to go!!! It looks cool! My fave things about the temples are the villages surrounding them which sell amazing street food and red bean sweets ahhh YUM!!!! Julie and I LOVE anything red bean/green tea related!!!
My favourite place in Japan (dah I tattooed it on my back lol #jolo)!!!
1. Miyajima!!! An amazing Island near Hiroshima! Prev blog posts here and here! From memory, you can use your JR pass to take the ferry!! It’s very touristy and it’s hard to get a table at restaurants so recommend taking a snack if you go!
Must eat Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima (they’re famous for it)!! But you can get it anywhere!! The Okonomiyaki building is easy to find! My brother and I rented electric bikes and explored Hiroshima that way!!
Amazing river in Osaka! Romantic at night, I would know bc I went there with ma mum!
We also went to the Kobe Animal Kingdom because I am a literal human child and I love animals!!!! They have a Capybara Spa there! It’s super random but my dad, mum and I had SO MUCH fun there….. lol. Don’t judge!! (Not a must see, just a see-it-if-you-run-out-of-places-to-see kind of place)
BULLET TRAINS 新幹線
Because I’m a nerd, my favourite thing about Japan is their efficient transport systems! (lol omg Jo, okay shut up now pls). Real talk though, taking bullet trains, ferries and long trains is my favourite thing to do in Japan. It’s the best way to see real Japanese towns and get out of the hustle and bustle. Obvi eat all of the EKIBEN 駅弁 (Eki = train station, Ben = Obento)!!! And any drinks at vending machines or in convenience stores that have a red label with あたたかい written on it, it means they’re warm drinks!!!! YUM
Okay I feel like I’ve left a LOT out……but I know that you will be FINE without my advice!! ALSO google maps is great in Japan because it will tell you all of the trains you need to take to get to a place and what time the train will be. Just make sure your JR pass will take you on the train line it mentions on google maps but the system is super straight forward so I’m sure you’re FINE!! Everyone in Japan is so lovely and they all want to help you! Even if they don’t come up to you, they will be happy to help if you approach them and speak politely!!!!
BONUS TIPS! ボーナス！！！
I love Kanazawa! Great for a day trip!! I wrote another post about my fave art sites but they’re all on here as well, just in more depth!
Hot Chips Tip #2 : Take pics of random people and talk to everyone!!! When I was alone in Tokyo, a random man started following me ahahah and wanted my email address ahahaha and I ran away ahahha this is not the kind of talking I am talking about LOL fk. You’re lucky that you have each other so take advantage of all the people around you!!!!
しゃしんをとってもいいですか。= Am I allowed to take pictures? (i.e. in a gallery or restaurant!!)
すみません、私たちの写真をとる事ができますか？= Excuse me, can you take a photo of us?
Hot Sauce Tip #3: I love Naoshima like it’s my long lost orphaned child and I hope you go there! Here are more posts about Naoshima!
Holy MAMA (māmā means so-so in Japanese which is not the mama I’m talking about rn). If you’re staying in a Ryokan, expect a royal treatment and hold each other’s hands and pray to jesus and thank him for the glorious food before you! #NotReligious #JustLoveFood
BEFORE EVERY MEAL
AFTER EVERY MEAL
and impress the hell out of everyone!